Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Let's talk font organizing...

Many digi scrappers are total font freaks. I mean how many fonts does one need? Well frankly we need ALOT. And since we need a lot of fonts we need a way to organize them. For the last few years I used a free program called The Font Thing. It was a great program with a great price. But unfortunately the program hasn't been updated and it does not recognize the new Open Type of fonts. I embarked on a search to find a current program that would replace The Font Thing and I came upon Main Type by High-Logic. At first I was dismayed by the $49 cost. But in thinking it over, I realized that I spend many, many hours in my digi scrapping hobby and $49 is just a drop in the bucket in the total scheme of things. (Think $$$ for Photoshop, Actions, Kits, Classes, etc.) So I decided to purchase it and spent the whole weekend organizing my fonts. Taking Stacey's Typography class over at Digital Scrapbooking Artisian Guild certainly helped me get in the mindset of how to organize my fonts to enhance my titles and journaling of my layouts. I was in total shock as to how many "groups" I ended up having. No longer am I just separating between Serif, Sans Serif and Decorative. To give you an idea...here is a list of my font groups:
All Caps-Decorative
All Caps-San Serif
All Caps-Serif
Alpha Dings
Alpha dings-baby and children
Alpha dings-beach_summer
Alpha Dings-floral
Alpha Dings-hearts
Alpha Dings-school
Bar Codes
Brush
Caligraphy
Chunky-Decorative
Chunky-Sans Serif
Chunky-Serif
ClickArt Handwritten Fonts
Clogged
Decorative-Double Lined
Decorative-Flourish-Curlicues
Decorative-Fun
Decorative-Journaling
Decorative-Mix and Match
Dingbats
Dross
Grunge
Handwritten
Handwritten-Pea fonts
Historical-Gothic-Oldstyle
Holiday-Christmas
Holiday-Easter
Holiday-Halloween
Holiday-patriotic
Holiday-StPatricksDay
Holiday-Thanksgiving
Holiday-Winter
Keyboard
Outline fonts
Sans Serif
Sci-Fi and alien
Script
Serif
Shapes
Stencil
Stitching Fonts
Stylish-Streamlined and Elegant
Typewriter Styles

My final category is called ZZ-Foundries. In here I have copies of CK Fonts, 2 Peas Fonts, PC Fonts, Blue Vinyl Fonts, etc.

Just knowing that all my fonts are organized and easy to be found when I need them just makes me smile. I can't wait to see if this organization makes a difference in my scrapbooking!

3 comments:

Donna B. Miller said...

What a great organizational system. I just started using The Font Thing, and I love the way you've categorized the fonts. I'm definitely bookmarking this page.

Whisper Pink said...

WOW...I wish I could be that organized...I will defineately go check out that program!!! Right now I use the Font Thing, but looks like I need to improve upon that!!!

Michelle said...

Wow great job with your fonts.